If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (225) 753-3434

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Musty, Dusty, and Other Smells That Tell Signs of Mold

12/19/2022 (Permalink)

A corner section of wall and ceiling is covered in a mold spread. Don't let a little mold grow, as it will soon become hazardous.

Mold grows best in damp, humid, and warm environments and can often be found in basements, kitchens, bathrooms, or any other area with high humidity levels or prone to water leaks. Mold spores are invisible to the naked eye and can easily become airborne, making them difficult to detect if you don't know what to look for.

Tell Tale Signs of Mold

One of the most common ways to tell if you have mold is by its distinct musty smell. This is because mold spores release a gas called mycotoxin, which can cause respiratory problems, headaches, and fatigue.

If you notice a damp, earthy, or mildew-like odor in your home, it's likely an indication of the presence of mold. However, it's important to investigate further to be certain.

Other signs of mold include visible growth on surfaces, water stains, or peeling paint.

Visible Mold Growth

Mold can appear as black, green, white, or orange patches on walls, ceilings, or floors. It can also appear as fuzzy or slimy growth. Mold often looks like stains and can be just as difficult to remove.

Water Stains

Water stains on walls, ceilings, or floors can be a sign of mold growth. These stains are usually dark in color and may be accompanied by a musty smell. These stains are commonly found in areas with high humidity or prone to water leaks, like kitchens, bathrooms, or laundry rooms.

Peeling Paint

Mold can cause paint to peel, bubble, or flake off of surfaces. This is usually a sign of extensive mold growth and should be addressed immediately.

Complaints of Allergies or Illness

If you or someone in your household starts to experience allergy-like symptoms such as a runny nose, watery eyes, coughing, or difficulty breathing, it could be a sign that mold is present. Headaches, fatigue, and nausea can also accompany these symptoms. If you notice any of these symptoms, it's important to investigate for mold and have it removed as soon as possible.

If you suspect that mold is present in your home, it's important to have it professionally inspected and removed. Mold testing kits are readily available and can be a helpful tool in detecting mold.

A professional mold remediation company will be able to properly assess the situation and recommend the best course of action. In some cases, mold can be removed with simple cleaning techniques. However, in other cases, removing and replacing affected building materials may be necessary.

No matter what the situation is, it's important to act quickly if you suspect the presence of mold in your home.

What to Do if You Have Mold

If you suspect mold is growing in your home, it's important to take action immediately to prevent the problem from worsening.

The first thing you should do is isolate the area. This means ensuring that the area is well-ventilated and that any air ducts are turned off. You should also avoid using any fans or other devices that could spread mold spores.

The next step is to clean the area. Mold can be removed with various household cleaners, but it's important to make sure that you're using cleaners specifically designed to kill mold.

You should also wear protective gear such as gloves, a mask, and eye protection to avoid coming into contact with mold spores.

Once the area is clean, you should take steps to prevent mold from returning. This means fixing any leaks, repairing any water damage, and keeping the area well-ventilated. You should also monitor the area for signs of mold growth and act quickly if you notice any.

Mold can be a serious problem in your home, but it doesn't have to be. With proper detection and removal, you can rid your home of mold and keep it from coming back.

By preventing mold growth in your home, you can avoid the health problems and damage it can cause. Be sure to keep an eye out for signs of mold and take action immediately if you find it.

When to Contact a Professional

Sometimes, it's best to leave mold remediation to professionals. If you have a large amount of mold, if mold is growing in a hard-to-reach area, or if you have a weakened immune system, it's best to contact a professional for help.

Contact SERVPRO of East Baton Rouge at (225) 753-3434 for assistance. We have the training, experience, and equipment to handle any mold problem, no matter how big or small. We will work quickly and discreetly to get your home back to normal.

Other News

View Recent Posts